Astral Saga: Stars of Strife
The Gnosephalem are powerful beings that hail from another realm, known as the Gnostic Shroud. They seek entrance into the Physical Realm, often using the bodies of mortals as their vessel. There are five different species of Gnosephalem, each aligned with various virtues or vices, referred to as Domains. Although their Domains may differ, they all share the same goal: absolute control of the Physical Realm.
Agents of the Gnostic Shroud
Those who would use the powers of the Gnosephalem have much to gain, but much to lose. The more one draws upon the power of the Gnosephalem, the less of their own soul remains. The Gnosephalem feast upon their souls, until, eventually, they are nothing but slaves to the Gnosephalem. To some, however, the reward is great enough that they would pay the price. The powers of the Gnosephalem can be used in two different ways: a Full Summoning or a Shadow Possession.
The Full Summoning is when one of the Gnosephalem are completely brought into the Physical Realm. In this form, they have the most power, but they are unable to linger for long. In addition, they are free to act as they please, unless the one who summoned them commands great power.
A Shadow Possession is the safer route. The person is imbued with the Gnosis, a portion of the Gnosephalem’s energy. This allows them to have great power, themselves, and doesn’t run the risk of letting a full Gnosephalem loose on the world. However, the Gnosis is not easy to control, and if the one who wields it is weak-willed, they may find themselves a slave to that power.
The Vydar – Avatars of Endless Law
- Endowment: Authority – Those who are Endowed by the Vydar command greater authority, including the power to inspire zealous loyalty or absolute fear.
- Blessing: Salvation – The Blessing of the Vydar is the power of salvation, the power to protect from harm, be it physical or spiritual. Obedience to the Vydar will bring greater protection and salvation.
- Influence: Justice – The Influence of the Vydar is the chains of Judgement. Imbued with a holy power, the chains of Judgement will bind all who do not obey the will of the Vydar. If the trespasses are grave enough, the chains will sear away the soul of the bound.
The Asai – Avatars of Glorious Might
- Endowment: Glory – Those who are Endowed by the Asai gain power through Glory. The greater the chance for glory, the greater their power becomes. Opposition and challenges only make them stronger. Apathy, on the other hand, can be crippling.
- Blessing: Valor – The Blessing of the Asai is Valor, the power to stand against any foe in combat, and to face any fear. Those Blessed by the Asai will continue to keep fighting, oblivious to any wounds they suffer. In the very least, they will fight to the death, but in some cases, the Blessing is so great that they will keep fighting beyond death.
- Influence: … – The Influence of the Asai is …, the power to smite their foes with searing fires.
The Rakyr – Avatars of Rampant Wrath
- Endowment: Rage – Those Endowed by the Rakyr emanate Rage. They are able to incite rage in those around them, and direct that rage wherever they want.
- Blessing: Violence – The Blessing of the Rakyr is the power of Violence. Those Blessed by this power are twisted into tools for violence; while the Blessing is in effect, all other functions are lost and forgotten. Only violence remains.
- Influence: Ruin – The Influence of the Rakyr is the power of Ruin. This power can utterly destroy any object, but has no effect on organic life.
The Xiash – Avatars of Carnal Indulgence
- Endowment: Enticement – Those Endowed by the Xiash are masters of Enticement. Their words, no matter how deceptive, will sound as honey to those that hear them.
- Blessing: Sensation – The Blessing of the Xiash is the power of Sensation, the power to experience the world at an enhanced level. It’s more than just magnifying the senses, but a greater control over them.
- Influence: Aesthetics – The Influence of the Xiash is the power of Aesthetics. Those touched by this Influence will have their sense of aesthetics distorted. It controls what they perceive as beauty, or as art. This could be used to induce euphoric bliss at the overwhelming sense of beauty surrounding the victim, or it could be used for the opposite, surrounding the victim in repulsive, aberrant imagery.
The Ythaine – Avatars of Unbound Minds
- Endowment: Truth – Those Endowed by the Ythaine will always hear the truth. It is almost impossible for an ordinary person to lie to the Ythaine.
- Blessing: Intellect – The Blessing of the Ythaine is Intellect, the power to vastly enhance one’s mental capacity. Perfect logic replaces unstable emotion.
- Influence: Synapse – The Influence of the Ythaine is the power of the Synapse. This power allows them to strike at the mental capacity of their foes, overloading and shutting down brain functions. The effects can range from a moment confusion, to a coma-inducing meltdown of the brain.